2/10/10

Sandy Bay Beach, Oanui

If you didn't know where you were going, you would never find this beach. 
It's just behind the gas processing plant in Oanui, down a narrow paved road with helicopter warning signs. 

But, of course, Hubby knew exactly where we were going when he took me there yesterday! 

                       

We both wondered about the rocks on this beach. They are not worn down and smoothly rounded like the rocks at New Plymouth-or any other beach we could think of. So, Hubby speculated that the rocks here might be of a different kind of rock composition. I think he's right. He's good like that, you know.


This lava rock was obviously still a bit 'warm' when it fell into the sea.


Doesn't he find the most entertaining things?!


And, when I told Hubby that I wish I could find some more sea anemones to photograph (the only ones I had photos of were white ones in Christchurch), he started turning over rocks and...voila!! Red ones!




9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful set of photos, I love the red anemones and the little crab.

Jim said...

Very interesting wildlife.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Deb said...

cute little crab...pretty photos...

Lorac said...

Thanks for the day at the beach Betty. Great shots. I love the little crab and the anemones are so pretty!

~Cheryl said...

Great set of photos! Those red anemones are so brilliant! I've only seen pale ones.

Unknown said...

How clever of you to take your husband on photo shoots!

I NEVER knew sea anemones were sometimes red. That is very cool!

Hootin Anni said...

Looks like there's a creature other than the red ones...in the bottom photo just to the bottom right of the pic. Is it a crab?

My watery Wednesday is the ocean's mist. Scroll down below my Wordful Wednesday for the photo share today if you choose to visit with me. Through the Mist

betty-NZ said...

Thanks so much for all your kind comments! Having never lived by the seaside, I am still (and probably always will be) enthralled with the ocean.

Hubby gets great pleasure in introducing me to ocean life and he's much more willing to get wet!

Annie, that is a limpet at the bottom of the photo. They make holes in rocks and boats they attach to.

Anonymous said...

What a darling tiny crab - and such delightful anemones.